Using NFS v4 when mounting the nfsroot

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 18 17:12:03 CEST 2019

Since a long time, I've tried using NFS v4 for the nfsroot. This did
not worked since FAI uses overlayfs for making the read-only nfsroot
writeable. Therefore FAI force a NFS v3 mount for the nfsroot which
works nicely.

But now it's possible to use NFSv4. I put some effort in debugging the
setup, and asked the overlayfs maintainers for help. It's a
complicated mixture of NFS and acl support (POSIX and nfs4 acl) and
what overlayfs expects from the filesystems in respect to certain
xattr. There may be an improvement inside overlayfs in the future. But
currently we can use NFS v4 for the FAI nfsroot with a very simple
change. Just disable acl for the exported filesystem on the FAI server
which holds /srv/fai/nfsroot. More is described here:

http://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_nfsv4_a_how_to_use_nfs_v4_with_the_nfsroot