package uninstall & install - different classes

Martin Krämer mk.maddin at gmail.com
Fri May 3 21:44:45 CEST 2019

Hello All,

I have a FAI setup running with two classes lets call them "CLASS1" and
"CLASS2".
Additional to other things these classes define some package installation /
uninstallations.
Both classes reference two packages where CLASS1 says app1 install and app2
unisntall and CLASS2 says app1 uninstall and app2 install.
Since the order of both classes defined is CLASS1 CLASS2 I would estimate
that CLASS2 settings apply since this is the 'higher' class - unfortunately
this is not always the case...

And here is what I found and why i say 'not always':
The configuration blocks of "PACKAGES install CLASS1" & "PACKAGES install
CLASS2" are both within ONE package_config file of a third class STRETCH64.

If the STRETCH64 file looks like following the settings of CLASS2 get
applied:
PACKAGES install CLASS1
app1
app2-

PACKAGES install CLASS2
app1-
app2

BUT if the STRETCH64 file looks like following the settings of CLASS1 get
applied:
PACKAGES install CLASS2
app1-
app2

PACKAGES install CLASS1
app1
app2-
(I just changed the order of the configuration blocks!)

I know from the "FAI Guide" that "The order of the classes is important
because it defines the priority of the classes from low to high."
But from my understanding this mainly applies to the order of how classes
are defined - not how they are listed in the package_config file.

So currently I am not sure if this is by design or a bug.
As of today I use the workaround of changing the order of my classes in
package_config file,
but since I am working a lot with profiles in some day I maybe need to have
the order of CLASS2 CLASS1 and have no way out of this topic.

Thank you for your inputs

Kind Regards

Martin