fai-setup: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)

Étienne Mollier etienne.mollier at mailoo.org
Thu Jan 10 20:56:49 CET 2019

Jürgen D. Fricke, on 2019-01-10 :
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to setup FAI 5.7.3 on Debian stretch.
>
> fai-setup -v fails with "E: Write error - write (28: No space left on
> device)":
[...]
>    E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
>    E: IO Error saving source cache
>    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>    Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-make-nfsroot.log
>    ERROR when calling fai-make-nfsroot.
>
> It's unclear to me which device is meant, df -h doesn't show any devices
> that are full.
>
>    procube at tank:~$ df -h
>    Dateisystem    Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
>    /dev/sda1       323M    210M   97M   69% /
>    udev             10M       0   10M    0% /dev
>    tmpfs            47M    4,6M   42M   10% /run
>    /dev/sda5       8,3G    1,3G  6,6G   17% /usr
>    tmpfs           116M       0  116M    0% /dev/shm
>    tmpfs           5,0M       0  5,0M    0% /run/lock
>    tmpfs           116M       0  116M    0% /sys/fs/cgroup
>    /dev/sda9        26G    1,7G   23G    7% /home
>    /dev/sda6       2,8G    1,2G  1,5G   46% /var
>    /dev/sda8       368M    2,1M  347M    1% /tmp
>    tmpfs            24M       0   24M    0% /run/user/0
>    tmpfs            24M       0   24M    0% /run/user/1000
>
> Any ideas?

Good Day Jürgen,

fai-make-nfsroot will create the FAI nfsroot directory as
pointed by $NFSROOT, defined in nfsroot.conf.  If this variable
is not set, then the default is /srv/fai/nfsroot, which would be
hosted inside your root partition /dev/sda1.  Since it has to be
a fully operational system, the whole NFS root wouldn't have
been able to fit in the 97M left, although it represents 31% of
free space.

You can add a partition to host your /srv perhaps, if you have
enough room left on your drive.  Or you can change the
configuration to point the location of your NFS root somewhere
else.  If you choose this second course of action, modify also
the $FAI_CONFIGDIR, which points to /srv/fai/config by default.

You may wish to have a look at nfsroot.conf(5) and fai.conf(5)
manual pages, for more details on available variables:

	https://fai-project.org/doc/man/

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier at mailoo.org>