Solved: Problem with disk_config in a KVM Client

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Sat Jan 5 12:15:42 CET 2019

Hello there,

this mail is just for the archive. It's about my second problem with
setup_storage, but that has been my fault (misconfiguration). Perhaps
it's a bug in setup-storage, too, but it can be worked around easily.

I had problems with disk_config and a virtual disk in a virtual
machine.

Using a valid configuration (no problems for real hardware), I got:
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/DEFAULT
Executing: wipefs -a /dev/vda1
(STDERR) wipefs: error: /dev/vda1: probing initialization failed: File
or directory not found.
Command had non-zero exit code

Error in task partition. Code 710

Problem was that I previously formated the virtual disk with a
filesystem (ext4) from KVM host.
Because of this it wasn't detected as a drive and so no new MBR could
be created.

I found out / solved it using cfdisk in the virtual machine.
cfdisk warned me that the device has an "ext4 signature" and that it
will be destroyed when continuing.
So i did it and with next reboot FAI installed without an error.

Christian