Problem with setup-storage preserving an existing LVM over RAID volume

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Sat Jan 5 11:43:38 CET 2019

Hello Thomas,

I'm using fai 5.3.6 (Debian stable).
Since I could use hooks and skiptask it's not that important, but I
wonder if there is a working example for "preserve_reinstall".

I read something about raid, lvm and "preserve_reinstall" in the
archive:
https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2009-October/007387.html
and that you suggested to run "mdadm-startall"
https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2009-October/007389.html
in 20-hwdetect.[source|sh] instead of including it in setup-storage.

But since it's more than 9 years ago and there is no command "mdadm-
startall" nor do I find anything helpfull about this, I thought that
there is a different solution.
Since raid/lvm is not needed during installation there should be no
need to activate or mount it. Ok, how could setup-storage know about
lvm when not starting raid before. Difficult.

setup-storage sees the three raid devices, but no lvm / volumegroup:
> setup-storage is running in test-only mode
> disklist: md125
> md126
> md127
> sda
> sdb
> sdc
> sdd

There is the
> "WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad."
and
# lsmod | grep -i lvm
is empty. Is this related?

Christian