manually restarting install?

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 4 18:37:05 CET 2019

On 1/4/19 11:18 AM, Thomas Lange wrote:

>      > If the config space fails to mount during an install, can I restart the
>      > install by hand after manually mounting the config space?
> I never tried this, I always call faireboot.

I couldn't get it to work. "fai -s nfs://faiserver/srv/fai/config/
install" seemed to sort of work. I think there were probably some kernel
modules missing because it couldn't partition the hard drive. So I gave up.

The problem was that the /etc/resolv.conf file on the target system had
no name servers, and an incorrect search setting. I've done 4 other
installs today and only one machine showed that behaviour. Very strange.

I worked around it by configuring the /etc/hosts file in the nfs root.
It really just needed the address of the faiserver. Something like:

192.168.0.31 faiserver

Then the install proceded as normal. The only thing I can figure is that
this machine has 3 network interfaces and (I still don't know why) it
was detecting a carrier on one that does not have a cable plugged in.
Something wrong with the carrier detection in the linux kernel I'd say.
Maybe that messed up generation of /etc/resolv.conf. No idea.

only the line "search local" in it. No domain,