Installing jessie/buster machines with stretch FAI?

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Thu Feb 7 07:33:24 CET 2019

Hi

On 2/7/19 3:49 AM, Sébastien Grenier wrote:
> I looked at changing the sources.list on the faiserver here
> /srv/fai/nfsroot/etc/apt/sources.list from stretch to jessie! I'm
> getting jessie packages on the client machine but dependencies errors.
>
> I feel that is far from the right way to do this...  and soon, I'll like
> to test installing buster (testing) with the same profile setup. What
> would be the good way to install another debian release than "stable".

As the target system install is different fro your NFSroot, you probably
need to create a "base" file first, which is then used as the basis for
your target system:

https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_extrbase_a_extract_base_file

Some documentation is here:

https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_otherdists_a_installing_other_distributions_using_a_debian_nfsroot

I.e. you will probably need to use mk-basefile or maybe a simple
debootstrap+tar may also work - I don't really recall how we did it the
last time around.

HTH

Carsten