AW: AW: PXE boot with UEFI

CSCI Technician tech at csci.viu.ca
Thu Dec 5 19:19:29 CET 2019

On 12/5/19 5:33 AM, Frank Morawietz wrote:

>> You can troubleshoot the issue using a tftp client on one
>> of your test boxes.
> Nice idea! I booted the client into Knoppix, installed the  tftp-hpa  client and tested.
> I could successfully get every single file from the server in /srv/tftp/fai/ .
> Worked without any issue and on server side no refused nor any other error.
>
> So it does not seem to be a problem with the tftp server, right?

Agreed... sigh.  Not sure how much of a difference this would make, but
did you boot Knoppix in legacy or UEFI?
Otherwise this definitely seems to be an issue with the tftp client when
PXE booting in UEFI mode only.  Interesting that you did not see any
errors in the logs when you tried with and without the firewall... so
does that mean you see 2 sets of symptoms:
Either:
1. you see the connection refused errors and a few retries in the logs, or
2. you see no connection refused errors but nothing happens past the
second request for the syslinux64.efi file

Looking back through the thread I don't see you mentioning anything
about the client side...
Do you see any PXE error messages on the client?
Have you updated the firmware on the client to the latest available version?
Do you have another client box (different brand, or newer model) that
you can try?

The one similar set of symptoms I have run across in looking on the web
also worked in legacy but not uefi... turned out to be a
hardware/firmware issue on the client box.

Past this, unfortunately, I got nothing.

Cheers,
Merlin

--
Merlin Hansen