FAI and Debian Buster (was Re: New ISO images available)

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Tue Apr 2 08:28:18 CEST 2019

Am 28.03.19 um 15:52 schrieb Thomas Lange:
> What about your interest in having ISO images using buster? I like to
> get some feedback if you prefere stable releases or also want to have
> ISO for Debian testing.

I don't really need ISO images, but if someone has been successful on
installing buster with FAI, I'd be happy to hear.

I am currently in the first testing stages, and I am having some trouble
with grub and lvm2. It seems there are some new problems related to
installing within a chroot. Problem is 1) that update-grub hangs forever
and 2) lvm2 postinst hangs with error messages like "WARNING: Device
/dev/sda1 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000
microseconds."

The first seems to be related to os-prober, the latter seems due to some
changes in lvm2. I found posts on Arch Linux forums that suggest that
you need /run/lvm available within the chroot, but it looks like it
already is when installing with FAI.