Including other signed Debian repositories (with https)

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Sun Sep 30 10:08:57 CEST 2018

Hello there,

First: I got it running, it just looks difficult and I'm just wondering
whether there is a simpler way.
Second: If there is no simpler way, I want to provide my "howto" for
others, hoping it will save them hours of searching and trying.

I wanted to add my own (signed) Debian repository to get some
customized packages in my FAI-installations.
The packages should be installed during initial INSTALL and not during
a SOFTUPDATE and I don't want to mess around with multiple (time-
wasting) "apt update" and "apt install" calls in scripts/DEFAULT/10-
own-repo.sh.
Sadly my webspace provider automatically switches to https, even when
http is requested (e.g. in sources.list).

Here are the modifications that I made:

FAI-configspace:
- add the repo-key to e.g. DEFAULT.asc
- fcopy sources.list
Result: works, but my own packages only get installed during softupdate
and not with install.

Okay, I have to include them in the NFSROOT:
- copy the key to /etc/fai/apt/keys/DEFAULT.asc
- copy sources.list to /etc/fai/apt/sources.list, too.
- of course pnupg must be present, too. (File: /etc/fai/NFSROOT)
Result after rebuilding the NFSROOT:
I get an "taskerror 742" during installation.
software.log says that apt couldn't retrieve the Release-file of my
repo.

Some google-ing told me to add the packages apt-transport-https and ca-
certificates.
So I added them to my NFSROOT (installing them directly in the existing
nfsroot / putting them in /etc/fai/NFSROOT and rebuilding it), but I
still got an error during task updatebase.
Obviously you have to include these two packages in your basefile
base.tar.xz (=the later client-system) and not the nfsroot.
So you have to edit /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf:
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=info --include=apt-transport-https,ca-
certificates"
and rebuild basefile and nfsroot.

Christian