Installation over serial console : menu of profile not working as expected

Sébastien Grenier sebas at koumbit.org
Tue Nov 20 02:02:44 CET 2018

Hi folks,
I'm new with the FAI server setup, I'm using fai version 5.7 on stretch.
I want to operate installation of clients with a serial console using
the profile functionality so I can get a menu. It works when I'm
connecting a screen to the server (well, i'm using a virtual box setup
to test),  I can choose the right menu. It's broken when I replicate the
same steps using the serial console (ttyS0), I get the menu of profile,
I choose the option, press enter. Boom with the following error message.
As if I was pressing "cancel"... which is not the case.

./40-parse-profiles.sh defined new classes:
40-parse-profiles.sh OK.
Executing /var/lib/fai/config/class/41-warning.sh.
41-warning.sh        OK.
Executing /var/lib/fai/config/class/50-host-classes.
50-host-classes      OK.
Executing /var/lib/fai/config/class/60-misc.
60-misc              OK.
List of all classes:  DEFAULT LINUX AMD64 DHCPC GRUB_PC
ip-192-168-33-100 LAST
Calling task_defvar
Defining variables from additional.var
++ disklist='sda sdb '
Calling task_action
FAI_ACTION: install
Performing FAI installation. All data may be overwritten!
Calling task_install
Calling task_partition
No matching disk_config found

Error in task partition. Code: 710
Traceback: task_error task_partition task task_install task task_action
task main
Source hook: savelog.LAST.sh
ERRORS found in log files. See /tmp/fai/error.log
savelog.LAST.sh      OK.
$LOGUSER is undefined. Not saving log files to remote.
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped.

On the serial console ttyS0, using the menu profile, after have chosen
the profile, I don't get the screen about "all your data on this disk
WILL BE DESTROYED"

here are the boot parameters:
    append initrd=initrd.img-4.9.0-8-amd64 ip=dhcp
root=/srv/fai/nfsroot:vers=3 rootovl console=ttyS0,115200n8
FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt,menu
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://faiserver/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=install

I suspect the problem is with this script...
https://github.com/faiproject/fai-config/blob/master/class/40-parse-profiles.sh

Many thanks in advance.

Sébastien