changes in the git structure of the FAI sources

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon Mar 12 13:29:11 CET 2018

Last weekend during the Chemnitzer Linuxtage I worked hard with Juri
who convinced me to split the FAI git repository into two parts using
a git submodule. The FAI config space examples are now hosted in a
separate git repository using the URL
   https://github.com/faiproject/fai-config.git
This helps syncing your own config space in git with the upstream
exmples, without having all FAI sources in the same tree.
The URL for the FAI sources did not changed, but you will also need
the submodule if you want to buld the FAI pakcages by your own.
Here's some help how to clone the FAI sources repository correctly.

Checking out the FAI sources:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/faiproject/fai.git

This command will also clone a git submodule which includes the FAI
config space examples. If you have already checked out the git
repository in the past (before the submodule was added), you have to
issue these commands once:

cd <to you working directory>
git submodule init
git submodule update

A big thanks again to Juri. You was very helpful with all the
complicated git commands and it was a pleasure to work with you.