Use of /dev/disk/by-path/... in disk_config?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 18 13:12:24 CET 2018

    > 1. Is it possible to map "/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:11.4-ata-1" to
    >    "disk1" (etc.) for easier reference later?
Yes. I use a script class/99-disklist.sh for changing the list of disks to
my local meeds. The script is attached. It uses the disks model numbers
to get a new order of the disks. The same should work with the serial
number or path.

    > 2. Would the following work (with that mapping merged):

    >   or do I have to take additional measures to make sure that the md devices
    >   "find" their components?
I do not understand what you mean by "find". Here's an raid1 example
from me. Also have a look at the nice feature sameas:disk1.

disk_config disk1    align-at:1M
primary  -           30G-100G   - -
logical  swap        1G-10G    swap sw
logical  -           1G-500G   - -
logical  -           1G-       - -

disk_config disk2    sameas:disk1

disk_config raid       fstabkey:uuid preserve_reinstall:1,2
raid1  /               disk1.1,disk2.1    ext4  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro  createopts="-m15"
raid1  /home           disk1.6,disk2.6    ext4  rw,noatime,nosuid    createopts="-m1" tuneopts="-c0 -i0"
raid1  /srv            disk1.7,disk2.7    ext4  rw,noatime,nosuid    createopts="-m1" tuneopts="-c0 -i0"

    > 3. Has anyone setup ZFS using FAI?
Kerim, who wrote the btrfs code for setup-storage was thinking about
adding ZFS support in the past. Maybe the interested people can do
some funding to get this implemented.