tasksel in basefiles

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Feb 16 10:48:58 CET 2018

    > Can someone explain why tasksel packages are clearly announces useable in fai manual:

    > but the default mk-basefile script excludes tasksel from all debian distros

    > What is the philosophy behind this, what did i not understand, and why must I remove tasksel from the exclude list to be able to install tasksel packages ?
Hi Yann,

this is for historical reasons, but they are stupid. In the past you
needed tasksel for installing task packages. Now you can use apt-get
to install a package like task-german. So

PACKAGES taskinst
german

does the same as

PACKAGES install
task-german

In the past, I though we could save some space by exculding tasksel
from the base file. But it's less than a MB. So, I will fix that, and
the next FAI version will not exclude tasksel any more.