how to diagnose installed FAI server

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Dec 18 18:57:48 CET 2018

    > When connecting a client with PXE boot (Realtex PXE B04 D00) it shows
    > the DHCP ... and a circling I for a while then PXE exits with the "boot
    > failure" message.
I think you need to debug some networking problem.

Did you enable tftp on the server? Do a DHCP is running in this
subnet?

Have a look at
7.3.1. Debugging the network traffic

    > How do I further diagnose this? Can I somehow test if the server tries
    > to issue an IP?
tcpdump is your friend.

    > What configuration does the ethernet card of the system
    > running the FAI server have to have?
No special config. Just an IP address, and your dhcpd.conf should use
this network card and must be configured for this subnet.