Yes, it can be done - Re: Install ZFS root with FAI?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Dec 18 10:22:49 CET 2018

Finally, I succeeded.

Boot mode set to Legacy, PXE boot into FAI, with classes, hooks
and scripts.
It will take a few more days to iron out minor mistakes, before
I can start to make this public ;)

I will write up everything I did. Basically, I used input from
the following documents, with a few own ideas, and suggestions
from this list added:
- "Debian Stretch Root on ZFS" (github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki)
- "ZFS Install Guide" (www.funtoo.org)
- "Booting a ZFS Root via UEFI on Debian" (www.thecrosseroads.net)

Somehow I failed to get /boot/efi mounted at the right point when
I ran an almost identical install with UEFI enabled, but I'm
lucky that my SuperMicro hardware still has a Legacy mode.

I'd like to ask for your patience - tomorrow is my last working
day for this year, and there are lost of (non-FAI, non-ZFS)
problems to be settled.

Enjoy the time with family, friends or just private projects.

See you next year then!
Cheers,
 Steffen