FAI 5.3.6 stretch: Predictable Network Interface Names

Alexander Bugl alexander.bugl at mpimet.mpg.de
Thu Aug 23 09:44:00 CEST 2018

Hi Thomas!

>     > # less /var/log/fai/localhost/last/shell.log
>     > =====   shell: DEBIAN/30-interface   =====
>     > Device "ens192" does not exist.
>     > DEBIAN/30-interface  OK.
> I wonder which command prints the 'Device does not exist'
> message. Oh I see. It's this call:
> ip -o -f inet addr show $NIC1

> Now I also see this error messages in my fai logs. But in my
> environment the interface config is created correctly, because I use
> the class DHCPC.

> Please try to exchange the two lines in 30-interface
> newnicnames
> CIDR=$(ip -o -f inet........)

Thanks for pointing me to the correct location where the problem really
occurs -- I did not notice that it is the emptiness of $CIDR which leads
to the not-creation of /etc/network/interfaces ...

> I hope this fixes the issue.

Yes, it indeed does.
Should I file a bug report somewhere, or do you change the simple examples?

With regards, Alex

P.S.: I use some more (minor) modifications for 30-interface, probably
you like to apply the attached patch?

--
Alexander Bugl