[External] Re: GRUB EFI blues - Debian 9/FAI 5.3.6

Bob Apodaca bob at phxlab.honeywell.com
Wed Apr 18 20:33:33 CEST 2018

Honeywell Internal

From: linux-fai [mailto:linux-fai-bounces at uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of Andreas Heinlein
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:22 AM
To: linux-fai at uni-koeln.de
Subject: [External] Re: GRUB EFI blues - Debian 9/FAI 5.3.6

Am 18.04.2018 um 10:14 schrieb tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee<mailto:tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee>:

   I can second to that. I installed a SuperMicro X10SLM-F based server last month and did not find any option in the BIOS to PXE-boot FAI into UEFI mode. Ended up using disklabel:gpt-bios and GRUB_PC. I did not try to boot off an USB stick, so it is worth investigating if an option exists for booting that in UEFI mode.

   From my experiments I was left with the impression that it is not easy (or even possible) to “cross-install” UEFI-boot-capable disk if the system was booted into legacy (BIOS) mode. If someone has found a way to do it, I would also appreciate suggestions.

   Regards,

   Toomas