FAI installation root file system modification not supported

André Rodier andre at seequestor.com
Tue Sep 12 12:11:48 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install Debian using FAI, following the official guide.

I run into an error. Any modification of the overlay filesystem is failing.

The first one that fail is "mkdir /var/log/fai: operation not
supported", then any other attempt from the installer to modify the root
file system fails.

The root partition is mounted, the NFS partition as well, but if that
helps, the folders /cow/ or /cow/work and /cow/rw folders don't exists.

I tried to create the folders, to remount the root partition, and to
start the installer, but it still does not work.

This is for the demohost machine.

I could not find anything with google, anyone can help me?

Kind regards,
André Rodier