FAI for ARM image building

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Oct 13 12:37:46 CEST 2017

    > fastboot is the protocol used on android and android-derived
    > bootloaders to flash an eMMC device. A fastbootable image is rootfs
    > converted to "fastboot sparse" image format, with img2simg or ext2simg
    > tools (android-tools-fsutils in debian).
Ah, this one. I used fastboot to flash UEFI onto my Hikey 960.

    > Is there a error code when there is unknown packages in package_lists?
Sort of. By default FAI will not stop if an unknown package is found. You will see a line like this in fai.log:

WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list:  acroread:i386 flashplugin-nonfree

In FAI install_packages checks every package name and removes unknown
packages. If you want to get an error, you can grep for this error
message and then set the error code. Something like this

if grep -q 'WARNING: These unknown packages are removed' $LOGDIR/fai.log; then
   task_error 777
fi

Also have a look at savelog.LAST.sh.

    > to fai, while the disk image is managed by fai-diskimage. So i guess
    > the best way to manage conversion to fastboot sparse image is to send
    > a patch for fai-diskimage.
Yes. We can options to convert the raw image using img2simg or
ext2simg.

    > even better, the next generation of rootfs for hikey960 should be
    > built with FAI :)
Perfect. I will be happy, if can boot my Hikey960 with my own build
image using my own tool :-)