FAI server on Ubuntu

Andreas Sindermann sinder at thp.uni-koeln.de
Wed Nov 8 10:46:26 CET 2017

On 11/08/2017 09:27 AM, Thomas Lange wrote:
> On IRC we had the question, if FAI can be installed on Ubuntu. Does
> anyone has a FAI server running on Ubuntu Xenial? I remember that
> there were major problems creating the nfsroot on a Ubuntu system,
> because of dracut and upstart in the past. But I'm not sure if these
> problems still apply or not. Any help appreciated.

The fai-server package available with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS can be used.
Nevertheless it will create a Debian-nfsroot environment which then can
install an Ubuntu system on the individual clients.

For this last step you have to create a Ubuntu base file system
config/basefiles/CLASSNAME.tar.gz with debootstrap. The details for this
 debootstrap command can be found somewhere in the fai-setup script.

Best regards
Andreas