autodiscover does not discover fai-server

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Jun 28 16:17:03 CEST 2017

    > company uses Windows (*sigh*) I will not be able to use DHCP / PXE. So I
    > wanted to use the autodiscover cd / iso. I have fai server running, and
    > fai-monitor started as well. When I try to test with a kvm client, it
    > will not discover the fai server although, when I then exit I can ping
    > and nmap -p 4711 faiserver. Port is reported as open. What am I missing,
    > is there any other way to for example pass the IP via boot variable or
    > such?! Any hints for debugging this?!
You have to a create a custom autodiscover FAI CD. Edit
/etc/fai/grub.cfg.autodiscover and change the ip=dhcp parameter. For a
full description read dracut.cmdline. These options can be used
there. An example can be found in /etc/fai/grub.cfg in the menu entry
for "FAI server installation - using a fixed IP".