stretch and grub on LVM

Markus Wigge markus at cultcom.de
Tue Jun 6 20:18:31 CEST 2017

Hi Thomas,

to update this old thread while stretch is knocking on the door I found
out that the "device.map" is making the trouble for me.

Attached you find a diff of two grub.cfg files one was created with a
"device.map" present (the ".broken" one) and the other without.

Unfortunately something different happens as well for "grub-install".
Only fixing the grub.conf does not result in a bootable system. I also
have to run "grub-install /dev/sda" again for the system disk.

All in all the automagic FAI installation works when I comment out the
"grub-mkdevicemap" line in GRUB_PC/10-setup.
Then I get a working grub.conf and the "grub-install" works a well.

And no, "/boot" on a separate device is no option for me. We are in 2017
and I even got a complete laptop disk encrypted including partition
table and LVM stuff and grub is able to boot it from the MBR only.
So I will never ever accept workaround partitions for my systems any more.

Kind Regards,
Markus