Setting up FAI on xenial

Bill MacAllister bill at ca-zephyr.org
Thu Feb 16 22:08:10 CET 2017

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:11:26 PM PST, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > Hmmm, it is pulling the package from the debian repo.
> That's ok. The nfsroot must be a Debian one. I do not know if a Ubuntu
> nfsroot is currently working. Use a Debian nfsroot.
>
>     > Okay, the sources.list is pointing to stretch.  Is that expected?
> Yes.
>
>     > Here is my /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf file.
>     > #FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="jessie http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
>     > FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="xenial http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu"
> Please change this to Debian stretch.

New error:

Creating config file /etc/default/grub with new version
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot apt-get clean
install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot dpkg --configure
--pending
install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot dpkg -C
install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot apt-get clean
chmod: missing operand after 'a+r'
Try 'chmod --help' for more information.
ERROR: No initrd was created. Check the package name of the linux-image
package in /etc/fai/NFSROOT.
Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-make-nfsroot.log
Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-make-nfsroot.log
ERROR when calling fai-make-nfsroot.
Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-setup.log

> And I still like to see the /etc/fai/NFSROOT file.

GACK!  I sent the wrong file.  Here is the right one.

# package list for creating the NFSROOT

PACKAGES apt-get

nfs-common fai-nfsroot module-init-tools ssh rdate lshw rpcbind
rsync lftp less dump reiserfsprogs e2fsprogs usbutils
hwinfo psmisc pciutils hdparm smartmontools parted mdadm lvm2
dnsutils ntpdate dosfstools xfsprogs xfsdump btrfs-tools
procinfo numactl dialog
console-common kbd
iproute2 netselect moreutils udev subversion
xz-utils
cupt
pxelinux syslinux-common # in jessie we need both
curl wget- libpsl0- libicu52-
nmap
emacs24-nox

# some network cards needs firmware
#firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x firmware-realtek
#firmware-linux-nonfree

# dracut replaces live-boot and initramfs-tools
#dracut-network live-boot- initramfs-tools-
#dracut-config-generic # this is not available in plain Debian jessie

# you should not edit the lines below
# architecture dependend list of packages that are installed

#git # git consumes a lot of disk space on the FAI CD

PACKAGES install DEBIAN_8
sysvinit-core systemd-sysv-

PACKAGES install I386
grub-pc
linux-image-server

# packages for Ubuntu natty/oneiric/precise:
# linux-image-generic live-boot

PACKAGES install AMD64
grub-pc
#linux-image-server

# packages for Ubuntu vivid
#PACKAGES install UBUNTU
#upstart-sysv

--
"Can't sing louder than the guns when I'm gone,
so I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here."

Phil Ochs