Setting up FAI on xenial

Bill MacAllister bill at ca-zephyr.org
Thu Feb 16 20:22:53 CET 2017

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:43:16 AM PST, Thomas Lange wrote:
> Thanks for the log.
> You do not install any kernel package inside the nfsroot. I guess it's
> because of the ubuntu version of FAI on your host system.
>
> The main problem may be inside /etc/fai/NFSROOT or in fai-make-nfsroot
> itself. IIRC we made some changes there.
>
> Can you please try to upgrade your fai packages on the host. Have a
> look at https://launchpad.net/~fai/+archive/ubuntu/ppa.

Added the ppa to the sources.list.d and upgraded FAI to version
5.3.2-0~6669~ubuntu16.04.1

First thing I hit was that the file /etc/fai/apt/keys/faippa.asc was empty.
I replaced it with the key for the ppa.  I got further, but it still
failed.  The last few lines of the failure are:

# -------------------------------------------------------------
Preparing to unpack .../systemd_232-15_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking systemd (232-15) over (229-4ubuntu4) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/console-setup-linux_1.158_all.deb
Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-make-nfsroot.log
ERROR when calling fai-make-nfsroot.
Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-setup.log
# -------------------------------------------------------------

I chroot'ed into the nfsroot and ran 'apt-get install -f' and found:

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  console-setup-linux

Hmmm, it is pulling the package from the debian repo.

# -------------------------------------------------------------
# apt-cache policy console-setup-linux
console-setup-linux:
  Installed: 1.158
  Candidate: 1.158
  Version table:
 *** 1.158 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
# -------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, the sources.list is pointing to stretch.  Is that expected?

Anyway, added the debian archive key and tried again.  It konked over
again.  I chroot'ed in again and ran 'apt-get install -f'.  Here is the
first part of log from that:

# -------------------------------------------------------------
# chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/
root at corpfai:/# apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  console-setup-linux
  console-setup-linux
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 98 not upgraded.
19 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/983 kB of archives.
After this operation, 11.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file
or directory)
Setting up sysvinit-utils (2.88dsf-59.8) ...
Setting up systemd (232-15) ...
Installing new version of config file
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.login1.conf ...
Installing new version of config file
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.systemd1.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/pam.d/systemd-user ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/systemd/journald.conf ...
# ... more normal output
# -------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the /dev/pts warning is the problem?

Here are the setup and make nfsroot logs: http://pastebin.com/Kqk5G20Z
http://pastebin.com/2xjMLjgp

> Please send the /etc/fai/NFSROOT so I can check this file.

Here is my /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf file.

# -------------------------------------------------------------
# For a detailed description see nfsroot.conf(5)

# "<suite> <mirror>" for debootstrap
#FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="jessie http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="xenial http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu"
FAI_ROOTPW='$1$kBnWcO.E$djxB128U7dMkrltJHPf6d1'

NFSROOT=/srv/fai/nfsroot
TFTPROOT=/srv/tftp/fai
NFSROOT_HOOKS=/etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=info,wget,dhcp-client --include=aptitude"

# Configuration space
FAI_CONFIGDIR=/etc/fai

Bill

--
"Can't sing louder than the guns when I'm gone,
so I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here."

Phil Ochs