Ubuntu 17.10 (artful) headsup

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 28 18:30:22 CET 2017

On 12/27/2017 02:41 PM, Thomas Lange wrote:>>>>>> On Wed, 27 Dec 2017
13:34:33 -0600, John G Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> said:

 >      > devices, using netplan instead of ifupdown. Configuration is
now written
 >      > as YAML files to /etc/netplan instead of in
/etc/network/interfaces."
 > OMG, that's why I do not like Ubuntu and why I only use LTS versions!

Well, I don't know, maybe I made the wrong choice but I had to find
something updated more often than debian stable.  Maybe I should have
tried a continuous release distro like debian testing.  If only debian
hadn't called it "testing". I was in a meeting and said something like,
"What about debian testing? I know it is *called* testing and they have
a release they call stable. But testing is a lot more stable than you'd
think and they really should call stable, hardened or better yet,
fossilized or something like that."

So that didn't go over too well. I am not the best salesman in the world.

If I was King Of the World, the second thing I'd do, after renaming
cheesecake to "cheese pie" (it is just so clearly a type of pie, not
cake), is to rename debian testing to debian stable, and rename debian
stable to debian hardened.