CentOS install and /boot on /dev/md0

Ondrej Jombik jombik at platon.org
Fri Aug 18 01:11:35 CEST 2017

We do CentOS installation on mdadm software RAID, which uses small 300MB
partitions at the beginning of the disks for /boot partition

So /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 creates /dev/md0, and then /dev/md0 is
mounted as /boot. This is the setup we have been using for years.

However script CENTOS/40-install-grub is failing, because of those
lines:

     bootdev=`device2grub $BOOT_DEVICE`
     bootpart=`device2grub $BOOT_PARTITION`

It is calling: device2grub /dev/md0

When you look /usr/bin/device2grub you will see that /dev/md0 does not
match regexp there.

Altering regexp to match /dev/mdN is of course easy. But even if that
would match and resolve well, it will never match anything from
device.map file, where there are only physical devices.

So simply said:

     - /boot is mounted using /dev/md0
     - but we want to write grub to /dev/sda and /dev/sdb,
       not to /dev/md0

Is there any way how to do this?

Ondrej

--
Ondrej JOMBIK
Platon Technologies s.r.o., Hlavna 3, Sala SK-92701

Read our latest blog:
https://blog.platon.sk/icann-sknic-tld-problemy/

My current location: Phoenix, Arizona
My current timezone: +0700 UTC (MST)