creating asc key files

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 12 23:03:18 CEST 2017

Huh... I guess what I didn't get were a couple of things ... The apt-key
command is a sort of shell on top of root's gpg keyring. After you use
apt-key, you can run regular gpg commands as root to manipulate the apt
keys. (I think). Second, the key identification is pretty open-ended. I
just said, "gpg --armor --export ubuntuzilla" and it did something. I am
not saying that's what I want but if I deliberately spell ubuntuzilla
wrong, it says there is nothing to export.

So if I get that to work during the fai install, will that apt key be on
the new system? In other words, if I get my install to install firefox
and thunberbird from ubuntuzilla, will I be able to update them on the
new system or will I have to import those keys again?

What I am doing right now is putting a commentin the sources.list file
that says how to import the key and then I have a script that finds
those comments and runs the command. So the comments start #key# and
then after that is the wget or apt-key command.