Second FAI server

Bill MacAllister bill at ca-zephyr.org
Tue Apr 4 02:57:09 CEST 2017

On Monday, April 3, 2017 12:28:21 AM PDT, Bill MacAllister wrote:
> On Friday, March 31, 2017 4:30:35 PM PDT, Bill MacAllister wrote:
>> Then I run 'fai-setup -v' the last few lines of the output are:
>>
>> install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot apt-get clean
>> install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot dpkg
>> --configure --pending
>> install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot dpkg -C
>> install_packages: executing chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot apt-get clean ...
>
> Actually that was a lie.  fai-make-nfsroot fails with the same
> error.  When I look they didn't look like that same file to me,
> but if I comment out the cp of localtime fai-make-nfsroot
> completes.  Still having issues, but I need to test more before
> I can ask reasonable questions.

I pulled the debian stretch version of fai-server, 5.3.5, and installed it
on the ubuntu system I am trying to get working.  fai-make-nfsroot
completes without modification.  An attempt to build a system resulted in a
failure because the process fail to create /tmp/fai.  I get dropped to a
shell problem a bit after the red FAI message.

Unfortunately this is in a VMware control window so capturing the error is
really difficult.  The first line I see when everything comes to rest is:

/usr/lib/fai/prcopyleft: line 16: cannot create temp file for
here-document: Operation not supported

If I try and create a directory in /tmp I get the following error:

mkdir /tmp/foo
mkdir: cannot create directory '/tmp/foo': Operation not supported

Not sure what to try next.  Suggestions welcomed.

Bill

--
"Can't sing louder than the guns when I'm gone,
so I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here."

Phil Ochs