Fai 5.1.2 jessie -> stretch regression (netcat missing)

Steffen Grunewald Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Fri Sep 9 12:14:16 CEST 2016

Hi,

for the fun of it, and to see how my old hardware might react under a 4.x kernel,
I built a stretch nfsroot and started a sysinfo run on my test machine.
I found that

Can't connect to monserver on faiserver port 4711. Monitoring disabled.
This used to work with the jessie setup.

Changes made:
all over: all "jessie" becomes "stretch", including "jessie koeln"
NFSROOT: "libicu52-" removed, "libpsl0-" becomes "libpsl5-"

Half an hour later, it turned out that for whatever reason, "netcat" wasn't
included anymore, causing the "nc" command in sendmon() to fail.
Adding it to NFSROOT, rebuilding the nfsroot, restarting:
- works now!

Apparently an internal dependency of "some" package in the NFSROOT list on
netcat was removed on the way from Jessie to Stretch. IMO it would not cause any
trouble if netcat was added to NFSROOT - it just belongs there, next to rdate
(who's still using that?) and ntpdate.

Please add this to your list for 5.1.3 ;)

BTW, there's a couple of dracut* packages still in http://fai-project.org/download/stretch/
which have been obsoleted by the central repository:
Get:25 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 dracut-core amd64 044+109-1 [232 kB]
Get:26 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 dracut-config-generic all 044+109-1 [6002 B]
Get:28 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 dracut-network all 044+109-1 [48.3 kB]
Get:62 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 dracut all 044+109-1 [7770 B]
- actually no packages are fetched from fai-project.org anymore (for now, that is)

Cheers,

Steffen Grunewald, Cluster Administrator
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)
Am Mühlenberg 1
D-14476 Potsdam-Golm
Germany
~~~