stretch and grub on LVM

Sven Schumacher schumacher at tfd.uni-hannover.de
Wed Sep 7 18:24:53 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas,

shouldn't grub be installed in the mbr of the used harddrives (e.g. /dev/sda and /dev/sdb) of the lvm, if / is on lvm-volumes?
IMHO the grub.cfg etc should be in /boot/grub (so no problem while /boot has its own partition - /boot inside the lvm-Volume might be inaccessable for grub)

Have a nice day

Sven

> Am 07.09.2016 um 17:29 schrieb Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de>:
>
> I can confirm this problem on jessie (did not tested stretch yet).
> Before trying to fix it for stretch, I like to understand what should
> happen, and why the GRUB_PC/10-setup script does not work in this
> situation.
>
> In my test BOOT_DEVICE was aslso set to /dev/vg1/root and
> BOOT_PARTITION was not set at all. Then GROOT was set to something like
> (lvmid/2Mf5k7ul-..........)
>
> Does anyone knows which values should be the right ones?
> Which device/partition should grub be written to?
>
> --
> regards Thomas
Dateiname   : smime.p7s
Dateityp    : application/pkcs7-signature
Dateigröße  : 5511 bytes
Beschreibung: nicht verfügbar
URL         : <http://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/attachments/20160907/7a53e1ca/attachment.p7s>