NIC1 not set in /usr/lib/fai/subroutines

Steffen Grunewald Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed Sep 7 12:48:16 CEST 2016

On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 11:15:29 +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > I'm getting a warning from FAI 5.1.2 for jessie, when running "sysinfo":
>     > /usr/lib/fai/subroutines: line 813: /sys/class/net//address: No such file or directory
>
>     > It turns out that $NIC1 doesn't get set.
>     > Since everything else still works, this isn't alarming, but annoying.
> Normally NIC1 should be set. Are you booting from FAI CD?

No. "normal" PXE, with only one i/f connected.

I tracked this down a bit. "ip route" returns a single line

10.150.0.0/16 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.150.90.22

- there's no "default" in it.
Because this is a private subnet, the DHCP server doesn't tell the client anything
about gateways, default routes, etc. - this seems to be the root cause.
Hosts get installed with a static network config afterwards, which means that
even if there's a gw, and a default route, it will be added only later.

Would it make sense to pick the i/f from the ip route output if there's only
a single line, to cover such a scenario?

> Anyway, I've added a test, that checks $NIC1 before using it.

Cannot harm...

I'm currently running a stretch-based sysinfo on the same machine, same result
(of course) but what's surprising and unexpected, after the recent complaints:
the devices in /sys/class/net are still named "eth*". No "enp${i}s${j}".
This is kernel 4.6.4-1... Is there a trick?

Cheers,