Network issue during FAI installation

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Mon May 16 21:59:22 CEST 2016

Am Montag, den 16.05.2016, 19:12 +0300 schrieb Toomas Tamm:
> On Fri, 2016-05-13 at 22:35 +0200, Christian Meyer wrote:
> > I'm facing a "myterious" networking problem ...
> Have you checked whether the problem is "permanent" or "intermittent"?

It happens on two computers and I tried about 5 or 8 times (each without
success) before looking into it and replacing cables.

>  I have had a long history of FAI failing to recognize the network card (of
> various makes and models) even though PXE boot and installed system
> afterward both work just fine.

That's interesting, too, but different from my case. My network card(s)
are recognized and only the link cannot be established.

> I guess this must be some sort of time-out or collision resolution
> issue, but I have never been able to find out the details.

For that reason I wrote a hook (confdir.DEFAULT.jook) that waits up to
10 seconds for 'eth' to come 'LOWER_UP' (using 'ip link show up'). In
most cases the network is up in under 3-4 seconds. In the mentioned
cases waiting even longer doesn't change anything.

> Just trying to live with it.

Yes I will. It isn't 'really' serious since I can work around - it's
just somehow 'myterios'.
And as Thomas said ' Anyway, always check the cable if you
have network problems ;-)'

Christian