FAI 5.0.3 Debian jessie: ftar ACL bug?

Carsten Aulbert Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Thu May 12 06:57:53 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas

On 11.05.2016 22:49, Thomas Lange wrote:
> I've added the options xattr,acl,selinux to ftar because it was needed
> when extracting CentOS base files.
> In basefiles/mk-basefile the tar files are created with those options.

As we have been bitten by this as well (only discovered the issues
yesterday when chmod started to fail due to this.

> The best way would be to test, if the tar file include any
> xattr,acl,selinux options any decide depending on this test if the
> options should be used when extracting.

Given this option seems to be needed for CentOS and possibly others I
think testing would be the best option.

Our use case currently is simple, create the base image on the FAI
server and deploy it and then we would not like to have the default ACLs
set.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to quickly discover this.

tar -cf test1.tar a b
tar --acl -cf test2.tar a b

file test*
test1.tar: POSIX tar archive (GNU)
test2.tar: POSIX tar archive

So the only difference seems to be the missing "(GNU)" :(

Do you know how detect this from the tarball itself?

Cheers
Carsten