Problem with virtio network boot

Denny Bortfeldt d.bortfeldt at babiel.com
Tue Jun 14 17:09:49 CEST 2016

Hello everyone,

I’ve got a little problem with virtio vms.
When I create a new vm with a virtio network card, then the system will get an IP for PXE-Boot, the menu appears and after loading the initrd and vmlinuz, the system hang at:

„Starting dhcp for interface eth0
dhcp: PREINIT eth0 up
dhcp: FAIL
dhcp failed
RTNETLINK answers: File exists“

When I create the VM with an e1000 driver everything works fine.
We didn’t have this problem with FAI 3, this now happens with FAI 5.

Seems like dracut don’t support virtio out of the box?

Best regards,
Denny