Multiple NFSROOTs (Jessie, Stretch) with FAI 5

Steffen Grunewald Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Fri Jul 22 16:04:52 CEST 2016

Hello,

after a long time I'm back to setting up FAI, this time for both Jessie
and Stretch clients (and an old Wheezy setup will have to be merged so
no multiple DHCP servers are around).

I'm following the version 5.0 instructions from the FAI Guide, section
"Setup your faiserver" and found a couple of minor quirks:

- the suggested "sed" commands need a "-i" option to write back to the same file
- while there is a -C option to fai-setup, to select multiple copies of the
  (/etc/fai) config tree, there's none for the log files (which get overwritten
  as a result)
- uninstalling fai-* may break if by accident /etc/fai was deleted, and even
  reinstalling (apt-get install --reinstall) fai-client and fai-server may fail
  to fix this - I had to edit the pre/postrm scripts kept in /var/lib/dpkg/info
  to overcome this
- the "fai" user at least sometimes isn't removed on uninstall (?)

Also, for Stretch, "libicu52" has to be replaced with "libicu55" in NFSROOT.
(I'm afraid, with all the transitions still going on, more will be added.)

Are there plans for an official Stretch version?

Cheers,

 Steffen