setup-storage fails to partition sometimes

Ingo Wichmann iw at linuxhotel.de
Sun Feb 14 21:28:05 CET 2016

Hi all,

we reinstall our training laptops very frequently. At the end of a
training, all kinds of storage configuration can be left on the
harddisks. Since January I'm using setup-storage. And my experience is,
that it often fails to clean up old configuration, and therefore fails
to partition the new system.

As a workaround I introduced the following two lines in a hook:

[ -b ${BOOT_DEVICE}2 ] && wipefs -a -f ${BOOT_DEVICE}2
parted ${BOOT_DEVICE} 'mklabel msdos yes' # this is sometimes
#necessary, often useless and produces warnings sometimes.

setup-storage calls already 'wipefs -a' on several occasions. I think
'wipefs -a -f' would be more reliable.

@Thomas: what do you think?

Ingo

--
Linuxhotel GmbH, Geschäftsführer Dipl.-Ing. Ingo Wichmann
HRB 20463 Amtsgericht Essen, UStID DE 814 943 641