No pxe boot on virtual box guests

Ronald Steele rsteele at adaptivemethods.com
Fri Feb 5 16:43:58 CET 2016

To use next-server faiserver, faiserver must be in your /etc/hosts and have the ip address that is accessible to your client (not “localhost”).
It used to be that the hostname was usually assigned to the IP address of the first or primary network interface.  Somewhere along the line that changed to having the host name assigned to localhost.  This is a BAD THING in my mind, but most if not all Linux distro’s do this.  I guess it makes sense in a DHCP driven world.

The access denied is telling you the NFS won’t let the mount happen.  You need to edit /etc/export to add the file system you want to mount and then do “exportfs -a” on the command line.
I’ve found editing /etc/exports to be a dark art and I’ve only gotten it to work as expect when using a * (asterisk) for the network restriction, I.E. open to all.

BWT, I’m still stuck at booting after the install with an BOOT INT18 error, which apparently means a non-bootable disk.  I’m moving on to VmWare as that’s my final target, but I would love to know if anyone gets this to work with VB.

Ron