/tmp read-only with stretch and FAI 5.1.2

Jeffrey Stolte stolte at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 9 18:10:35 CEST 2016

I am just starting to look at Debian stretch and FAI 5.1.2.  I have
an FAI server installed with all stock Debian stretch packages and am
trying to use dracut with overlayfs.  When I boot a client to install
stretch via FAI, all of the filesystems appear to mount properly,
including the nfsroot.  However, /tmp is not writeable.  I can write
to / though.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

Here is more info on my setup:

FAI package version:    5.1.2
Dracut package version: 044+105-2
Kernel package version: 4.6.4-1

On the install client:

Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz-4.6.0-1-amd64 initrd=initrd.img-4.6.0-1-amd64 rw rootovl ip=eth0:dhcp root=nfs:faiserver:/srv/fai/nfsroot FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://faiserver/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=install

root at faiclient:~# df -h
Filesystem                                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                                     230M     0  230M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                        247M  280K  247M   1% /run
overlay                                      247M     0  247M   0% /
tmpfs                                        247M     0  247M   0% /live/cow
faiserver:/srv/fai/nfsroot                    30G  4.1G   24G  15% /live/image
faiserver:/srv/fai/config                     30G  4.1G   24G  15% /var/lib/fai/config

root at faiclient:~# lsmod | grep overlay
overlay                45056  1

root at faiclient:~# touch /tmp/test
touch: cannot touch '/tmp/test': Operation not supported

root at faiclient:~# touch /test
root at faiclient:~#

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions for fixing the problem.

Jeff Stolte