Not-so-predictable network names

Alexander Thomas alexander.thomas at esaturnus.com
Fri Aug 5 15:59:56 CEST 2016

I have another workaround that allows to use the new network names,
even when doing a pure USB/DVD install with no working network
connection:

In the jessie NFSroot etc/grub.cfg, add “net.ifnames=1 biosdevname=1”
to the kernel command line, to mimic the defaults from Ubuntu.
In scripts/DEBIAN/30-interface, override NIC1 as follows:
NIC1=$(lshw -C network | grep 'logical name: ' | head -n 1 | awk '{print $3}')

This assumes the first interface shown by lshw is the one you want,
which was the case on the few systems I tried this on. Your mileage
may vary :)

--
Alexander Thomas

Senior Developer