Not-so-predictable network names

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 4 22:20:33 CEST 2016

    > I now have the same problem while installing xenial from a jessie
    > NFSroot. It defines an interface eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces, but
    > when the installed system boots, the interface is named ‘ens3’.
I think the problem is that with jessie you are using a 3.16 kernel,
but xenial uses a 4.x kernel (and pretty sure different versions of
systemd).

I'm not sure if the kernel version or systemd or both are responsible
for this. You may want to try a 4.x kernel from backports inside the
nfsroot. Here's how to install the 4.x kernel inside the nfsroot:
http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Grml_Kernel