read-only filesystem when installing - aufs missing

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Tue Aug 2 15:32:05 CEST 2016

Hi,
I just ran into problems when I tried to install a xenial client with my
new xenial-config.
The installation got stuck due to a read-only filesystem - similar to
Erwanns (11.2.2016 "NFSROOT mounted on /") and Dirks case ( 27.5.2016
"no writeable /tmp on PXE-Boot...").

As in Erwanns case, it seems to be due to the missing "aufs" option in
the PXE-file.
But I wonder, why the aufs option is missing in my tftp-config - it is
not added when I execute fai-chboot.
If I manually add the "aufs" option to the PXE-file, everything works as
expected.

In the FAI-changelog, I found the following entry for fai 5.1:
     "fai-chboot: automatic test if aufs or overlayfs is needed"

I suspect, that in my case fai-chboot somehow decides that aufs is not
required
=> how does "fai-chboot" make its decision on using aufs or overlayfs
(based on which conditions)?
=> is there a command line option or fai.conf/nfsroot.conf option to
enforce fai-chboot to use aufs? *

* I know, I could use a PXE-template file as I already do it in my
jessie/wheezy FAI - but I rather would avoid this in this case

Regards
René

------------------
My fai-chboot command:
/usr/sbin/fai-chboot -C /etc/fai_xenial -IFv -k
LOGREMOTEDIR=/var/log/fai_ubuntu -u nfs://phkup26/srv/fai/config_xenial
kupmolucca

the resulting PXE-file:
---
default fai-generated

label fai-generated
kernel vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
append initrd=initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64 ip=dhcp
root=nfs:phkup26:/srv/fai/nfsroot LOGREMOTEDIR=/var/log/fai_ubuntu
FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://phkup26/srv/fai/config_xenial FAI_ACTION=install
hostname=kupmolucca
---