issue with install_packages in FAI 5.0.3

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Tue Apr 12 02:04:57 CEST 2016

Hey,

I'm in the process of updating my FAI nfsroot to Jessie, and FAI 5.0.3.
I've discovered an issue with install_packages. It seems that Apt::Pkg
is causing issues.

I'm getting the following error message:

install_packages: read config file LAST
Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status - open (2: No such file or
directory)
The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
Can't call method "exists" on an undefined value at
/usr/sbin/install_packages line 409, <FILE> line 235.

After a bit of poking around, that error about /var/lib/dpkg/status is
because /var/lib/dpkg in the running install box is empty. The logic in
install_packages at line 142 which loads AptPkg::Cache appears to be
trying to use $target/var/lib/dpkg/status but that isn't working
correctly.

If I run install_packages manually with -N then I can successfully
install packages.

Is there something else that I should be doing here?

Cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand