"No URL defined for the config space": Documentation issue?

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 30 18:35:48 CEST 2015

Hi,

following the "Quickstart - For the impatient user"
[http://fai-project.org/fai-guide/_anchor_id_impatient_xreflabel_impatient_quickstart_for_the_impatient_user.html]
I ran into the following error message during the installation process
on the client:

   ERROR: No URL defined for the config space
   ERROR: Set $FAI_CONFIG_SRC or use option -s

There are some very old (2012) references to this on the maillist and in
fact the manpage of fai-chboot says

   -u URL Set FAI_CONFIG_SRC to URL. Setting this variable is mandatory
          for operation of FAI.

On the other hand, the quickstart guide tells me to simply run
"fai-chboot -IFv <host>" and also $FAI_CONFIG_SRC is already set in
/etc/fai/fai.conf.  So why declare it yet an other time?

Additionally from the error message it is not clear - at least to me -,
/where/ the "-s" option should be used.

Maybe the quickstart guide needs an update/fix?

Cheers
Frank