FAI install PXE boot hangs: "add_mountroot_fail_hook not found"

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Sep 24 21:28:08 CEST 2015

    > addendum: "it" also tries to find /lib/udev/hwdb.bin for quite a while
    > (see screenshot)

We already had this problem on the linux-fai mailing list. See
https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2015-August/011058.html

Which FAI version are you using? I guess 3.4.8..ubuntu...
There's a newer version (4.3.2...) in a launchpad PPA, which will work
much better than the really old 3.4.8 version, since it is used and
tested by a Ubuntu user. It's available at
https://launchpad.net/~fai/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Since I do not use Ubuntu, I cannot help very much. If the 4.3.2
version from the PPA does not work good enough, I would recommend to
use a Debian nfsroot for installing Ubuntu. This will work. A generic
Debian nfsroot can be found at
http://fai-project.org/download/misc/nfsroot-generic-fai-4.3.3.tar.xz
but you have to adjust (fai-make-nfsroot -a) it.

Please give us feedback on this list, if it works for you.