FAI installation on new PCs with UEFI BIOS

Wolfgang Walkowiak walkowiak at hep.physik.uni-siegen.de
Tue Sep 1 10:35:27 CEST 2015

Hi Thomas (et al.),

thanks.  I just discovered a work-around for my issue with the UEFI
BIOS looking at
   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#LOCALBOOT_type

Basically it suggests to replace the stanca
   LOCALBOOT 0
by
   LOCALBOOT -1
in the appropriate PXELINUX menu.  This causes the BIOS (and also the UEFI
BIOS of the ASUS motherboard we have) to accept the failure of the PXE
boot and move on to the next entry in the boot order.  I tested it also
with one of our older PCs without UEFI BIOS for which it worked as well.

This trick saves me from spending some time on debugging a combination of
pxelinux and syslinux boot menus.  (Sorry, no recipe for that.)

Cheers,

w.w.

P.S.: Here are the contents of my localboot.inc snippet:

# localboot.inc
label local
MENU LABEL BOOT FROM ^LOCAL HARDDISK
# request booting from local disk -- has issue with UEFI-BIOS
## LOCALBOOT 0
# set LOCALBOOT to -1 to signal failure instead
LOCALBOOT -1

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, Thomas Lange wrote:

>    > Or do I have to have a parallel syslinux TFTP boot menu setup as suggested
>    > here: http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#UEFI ?
>
>    > I wonder whether the problem I ran into is specific to the mainboard
>    > (ASUS H81M-(D) Plus 3) or more generic.
> IMO this seems to be a general UEFI problem^Wfeature. All my install
> clients still use the legacy BIOS mode. But I know new computers may
> not support the legacy mode. I guess syslinux is the best source for
> fixing this problem.
> I would be happy if you could post your solution here.
> --
> regards Thomas

   Dr. Wolfgang Walkowiak     Phone: +49-271-740-3889
   Fakultaet IV / Physik      Fax  : +49-271-740-3886
   Emmy Noether Campus
   Universitaet Siegen    --> Wolfgang.Walkowiak at hep.physik.uni-siegen.de
   Walter-Flex-Str. 3         Wolfgang.Walkowiak at gmx.net
   57068 Siegen