locales in NFSROOT

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed May 13 16:49:42 CEST 2015

    > Good to know that this is not my single problem.
    > Since dpkg-reconfigure locales works fine (interactively, e.g. via
    > dialog) inside the chroot environment and only fails with
    > "-fnoninteractive", I rather think, it's from dpkg-reconfigure.
I would blame the postinst of locales for this. But anyway, this is what works.

Create the nfsroot WITHOUT installing the package locales (remove it
from /etc/fai/NFSROOT).

Then set the debconf information, after that install the locales package.
It does not work if the locales package is already installed.

This is my little script, that I run:

echo "locales locales/default_environment_locale select de_DE.UTF-8" | $ROOTCMD debconf-set-selections
echo "locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8" | $ROOTCMD debconf-set-selections
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
$ROOTCMD aptitude -R -y install locales