FAI - jessie / GDM3

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Tue May 5 15:33:20 CEST 2015

Hi,
I just started to create a new FAI-config-setup for jessie-clients on my
FAI-server (FAI 4.3.2, runs on wheezy).
I could successfully install a jessie-client, at least my host setup
seems to work (network, nfs-mounts, Kerberos, ...).
However, I really couldn't get GDM3 to work up to now - it always fails ...

Maybe some package(s) of my installation messed up GDM3:
I did a fresh installation from official Debian-jessie-ISO, GDM3 worked
- until I manually installed all the packages which are in my
FAI-package-config.
As these are >2000 packages, debugging is difficult ...

I also could not get GDM3 to work on Ubuntu-trusty clients. At this
time, I just removed GDM from my Ubuntu setup and didnt investigate
further because I use this setup only for servers which don't require a
desktop.
As I didnt have any problems on wheezy-hosts, but now on both jessie and
Ubuntu trusty hosts, I suspect the problem could be somewhat related to
Debian's switch from  "SysV-Init" to "systemd" (and "upstart" on Ubuntu).
Further, a little googleing shows that I'm probably not the only one
with GDM3 problems on jessie ...

=> as I need a desktop manager on the jessie-clients, I installed KDM ->
works like a charm, with both gnome and KDE desktop!

=> I know its most likely not a directly FAI-related problem - but
nevertheless, did anyone made similar experiences when trying to setup a
FAI for jessie-clients?
=> Did anyone stumble over other maybe important jessie-related issues?

Regards
René

--
Dr. René Bleisch