install to usb mass storage

Holger Parplies wfai at parplies.de
Sat Jun 20 19:10:46 CEST 2015

Hi,

qwer at vienna.at wrote on 2015-06-18 07:57:24 +0200 [Re: install to usb mass storage]:

> >     > Modifying line [1] to accept both "disk" and "floppy" works. Yes, it's
> >     > ugly but I'm not expecting to install any machines that have real floppy
> >     > drives so I guess I should be safe.
> > Ah, I see. The problem is that removable devices belong to the group
> > floppy and are ignored by FAI when building the list of disks. I like
> > to have any comments if FAI users want to have changed this
> > behaviour.

don't the slots of card readers appear as sd* devices regardless of whether a
card is actually inserted? Wouldn't that lead to problems with setups/in
situations where no card is inserted? Isn't there some merit to being able to
provide data for an installation (like passwords, keys etc. - things you don't
want to publicly export via NFS) via SD-cards (or similar) without risking them
being clobbered by an unexpected disk order (yes, I speak from experience)?

In other words, I'd vote for making it optional with the default being the
current behaviour (i.e. removable devices disregarded).

Regards,
Holger