Recommendations regarding Debian Jessie and systemd?

Dirk Geschke dirk at lug-erding.de
Fri Jun 19 08:29:35 CEST 2015

Hi FAI-users,

I'm just testing to migrate to Debian Jessie and I'm still unsure
if I should go with systemd yet. Whereas I'm still using sys-v-init
on the server, I started with systemd on the clients.

Actually I failed with a race condition in mounting the file systems
and starting ssh:

/run is a tmpfs created and filled by systemd. But if mounting via
fstab takes too long, the root filesystem is still mounted read-only
when systemd trys to fill /run with directories like /run/ssh, which
is needed to start the sshd. The root directory is re-mounted rw later
on. :-(

Since it took me a hole day to identify this problem, I'd like to ask
you for experiences with systemd: Should one give it a try, is it
already needed for desktops or would it be better to still use the
old but functional (and easy debugable) system-v-init?

Any suggestions, ideas, workable solutions, ...?

Best regards

Dirk, who is still unsure wether he should give systemd a try...